previous chapter

main page

next chapter

The Jewish Community of Laupheim and its Annihilation

Book Pages 136 -140



6 Biberacher Strasse



Translated by: Susann Beckenbach


Emil (Elias) Dworzan, born on January 1, 1856, died on September 28, 1931, OO Rosa, née Schloß, born on March 19, 1860, died July 24, 1932

-    Else, born on September 27, 1886 in Posen

-    Dorothea, born on April 9, 1888 in Posen

-    Hermann Julius, born on April 14, 1890 in Posen, died on March 8 1929 in Stuttgart

-    Max Jesaias, born on January 25, 1892 in Laupheim

-    Alwine, born on May 26, 1896 in Laupheim, died on 1961 in America


Emil Dworzan relocated at the age of 34 from Posen (West Prussia) to Laupheim with his wife Rosa and three children. He was the son of Jesaias and Rachel Dworzan. He served the Laupheim community for 41 years as cantor and precentor and founded the mixed synagogal choir “Frohsinn” (“Gladness”). He died in 1931 in his 74th year about six months after Rabbi Dr. Leopold Treitel. On his gravestone are the words “He did what was right and was guided by love.” 1)


 Conductor Emil Dworzan (front row, center) surrounded by “Concordia” singers

(photo: Bilderkammer Museum)


Emil Dworzan was married to Rosa née Schloß. She was the daughter of Heinemann and Nacha (?) Schloß. In her obituary it says: “In her a truly Jewish, pious woman died, whose trust in God could never be shaken, even by great suffering” 2)

The family lived as tenants at No. 6 Biberacher Straße above the guest house “Zur Germania”. Emil Dworzan also acted as choirmaster of the men's coral society “Concordia”, Laupheim.

Among other things he organised a concert in the Catholic social center in aid of free meals for children. His Highness Fürst (Prince) Wilhelm von Urach und Graf (Count) von Württemberg also participated in this as a baritone. The concert was accompanied by the town orchestra under the direction of musical director Laub.

According to Mr Rolf Emmerich there still exist 35 historical recordings from services at the Laupheim synagogue from the year 1920.

For this purpose Hollywood pioneer Carl Laemmle travelled, together with the Laupheim master tanner and community elder Simon L.Steiner and the cantor Emil Dworzan to a recording studio in Berlin. With Simon L.Steiner at the organ and with the cantor Emil Dworzan 35 vocal pieces  from the Laupheim Synagogue were recorded, each piece on a separate record."3)


From the newspaper “Laupheimer Verkündiger”


Click on the grammophone

Emil Dworzan also supported young talents. Thus, through him as an intermediary and with the support of the castle estate owner  Steiner, a scholarship for choral studies was granted by King Wilhelm II of Württemberg to the young Georg Gut, son of the shoemaker Joseph Gut, a resident of the Judenberg. 4) In August 1923 Emil Dworzan retired from his office as precentor. His successor was Wilhelm Kahn, who was the precentor in Lehrensteinsfeld-Affaltrach.


From the newspaper “Laupheimer Verkündiger”


Dorchen and Else Dworzan (each in center of picture) as pupils at the elementary school

„Israelitische Volksschule“ Laupheim 1895 (Photo Leo-Baeck Institute, N.Y.)



Alwine Dworzan as a pupil at the “Latein und Realschule” (equivalent to a High School) in 1910;

as members of the Sunday “Frauenarbeitsschule” (school for women's occupations) in 1913.

(center of picture). (Photos: J.Braun, Alt-Laupheimer Bilderbogen, K. Neidlinger, 100 Jahre Realschule).

The children:

Else: born on September 27, 1886 in Posen. She married Kuno Kocherthalter from Madrid in early July 1928, where the family presumably lived at that time.

Dorothea, born in Posen on April 9, 1888. Dorothea was single and later lived at 24 König-Wilhelm-Strasse, today the office of the architect Mann. On February 1, 1933 she emigrated to Madrid, probably because her elder sister was already there.

Hermann Julius, born on April 14, 1890 in Posen. He was a doctor and joined the reseve battalion J.R. 125 in Stuttgart on August 20, 1914. Until his demobilization on November 30, 1918 he was active as a junior doctor and later as an assistant doctor during the battles of Flanders in 1914/15, in Champagne and at Verdun. He received the medal for bravery “Württembergische Tapferkeitsmedaille” and the Iron Cross II. 5)

Max Jesaias, born on January 25, 1892 in Laupheim, studied in Tübingen and gained his doctorate as Dr. med. in 1921. On December 8, 1924 he married Else Henle in Stuttgart. The wedding ceremony took place at the “Bahnhofsturm” (Station tower).

Max also volunteered for military service on November 1, 1914 and took part in the battle of the Vosges as an assistant military doctor and later on the Russian and Ukraine battlefields. He was even still on  on December 24, 1918 during his illness with typhoid fever. He, too, received the medal “Württembergische Tapferkeitsmedaille” for bravery and the Iron Cross EK II. 6 )

On June 11, 1923 Max Dworzan announced in the newspaper “Laupheimer Verkündiger”:

“Following professional training of several years with Dr. E. Krauss (Department for Internal Diseases at the military hospital “Versorgungskrankenhaus” in Stuttgart) and with Geheimrat Prof. Dr. H. Strauss, Berlin, and with Dr. Elsner and Dr. Urg, head of the earlier Boas'schen Klinik in Berlin, I am now a registered specialist for gastroenterology (X-ray labotatory) in Stuttgart."


His practice was located at 27 Kriegbergstrasse. Max Dworzan was, however, able to pursue his career as a specialist for gastroenterology for only a few year. He was buried in the Jewish part of the Prag Cemetery in Stuttgart. Following a short, serious illness he died on March 7, 1929 in his 36th years. His gravestone (No. 2817) is now illegible, due to the effects of the weather. 7)

Alwine, born on May 26, 1896 in Laupheim, attended the elementary school, then the Laupheim “Latein- und Realschule” (equivalent to a High School) as one of the first female pupils. This was possible only from the year 1906. She emigrated on March 1, 1933, first to England and then to the USA, to Orson, and died there in 1961. She is mentioned by name on the gravestone of her parents in the Laupheim cemetery. It is not possible to ascertain from the inscription on the gravestone whether she is buried in her parents' grave or whether she is only remembered here. 8)


The grave of the Dworzan family with the dedication to the daughter Alwine.




1) Nathanja Hüttenmeister: Der Jüdische Friedhof Laupheim S. 506.

2) GIGW 20/1933, S. 223.

3) Laupheimer Verkündiger.

4) Braun: Altlaupheimer Bilderbogen Bd. II S. 177.

5) HdG A-2003/0084/49.

6) HdG A-2003/0084/48.

7) Nathania Hüttenmeister: Der Jüdische Friedhof Laupheim S. 506.

8) ebenda S. 506


previous chapter

main page

next chapter